Canada is a country occupying most of northern North America. It is the world’s second largest country by area and extends from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean and northward into the Arctic Ocean. Ottawa, in Ontario State is the country’s capital. Canada shares land borders with the United States to the northwest and south. Canada is a federal Constitutional monarchy with parliamentary democracy. Comprising ten provinces and three territories, Canada is a bilingual and multicultural country, with both English and French as official languages. State of the art infrastructure country with high end technology advancements.

Cost of Education in Canada
Studying in Canada is affordable. The average cost for a foreign student for one year (8 months) is C $ 14,000 to C $35,000.

Cost of living in Canada
Student cost of living usually starts from 6,000 C $ to C $ 12,000. Canada immigration department requirement for student sponsor is C $ 12,000 to 14,000 per annum and sponsor kept in mind, while sponsoring.

Part time work options for students
Full-time students registered in a degree or diploma-granting course are allowed to work on the campus of the institution at which they are registered without the need for an employment authorization. This includes on campus employment for graduate, teaching or research assistants. Spouses of full-time students are eligible for open or open/restricted employment authorization, depending on medical requirements having been met.

Canada offers many advantages to the international student. Canada provides a safe, multicultural environment for anyone to study. Canadian educational institutions are internationally known for their quality, and Canadian certifications are accepted world-wide. Comparatively low tuition makes Canadian education an excellent value.

Top 5 study fields
1. Arts
2. Science
3. Commerce and Management
4. Engineering/Technology
5. Medicines

Education system in Canada
The education system in Canada encompasses both publicly-funded and private schools, including: community colleges / technical institutes, career colleges, language schools, secondary schools, summer camps, universities and university colleges. Canadian universities are largely public funded and as a result, are of a consistently high quality, regardless of location or area of study. Undergraduate programs are of 4 years duration, except in Ontario, where there is a three-year Bachelor degrees and three-year Master’s degrees. In the other parts of Canada, post-graduate programs (Master’s) are of two years duration.

As a general rule, a four-year Bachelor’s degree is required for admission into M.S/MBA programs, with a minimum of mid-B grades (around 70%). For those with a three-year degree, admission into a PG diploma program is possible with a minimum score of around 240 in TOEFL. Ph.D programs generally require five years to complete full-time. They usually require a combination of course work, original research and a thesis, which must be defended by oral examination.

February, March, July-August-October

English language requirements
Canadian colleges and universities accept either TOEFL or IELTS scores as proof of English proficiency. Depending upon the institution, the score requirements may vary – between 213-250 for TOEFL and 5.5 -7.5 bands in IELTS.GRE is required for Master’s level admission, and some universities and programs may need a good score in the Subject Test too. However, for MBA admission, good score in GMAT is essential.

To get a post-graduation work permit, you must:

  • be 18 or older when you apply
  • have continuously studied full-time in Canada in a study program at least eight months long
  • have a document from your school (transcript, official letter, certificate, etc.) that confirms you completed and passed all your program requirements
  • have graduated from a:
    • public post-secondary school, such as a college, trade/technical school or university, or CEGEP in Quebec or
    • private post-secondary school that operates under the same rules as public schools (currently applies only to certain private post-secondary institutions in Quebec) or
    • private secondary or post-secondary school (in Quebec) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer, leading to a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP) or
    • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree) but only if you are enrolled in a study programs leading to a degree as authorized by the province
  • apply for a work permit within 90 days of when it was confirmed that you completed your program and
  • have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.

You aren’t eligible to apply for a PGWP if you:

  • Studied in a program that was less than eight months long
  • Studied for more than eight months but not continuously (for example, you took a semester off)
  • Took part in a Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
  • Took part in a Government of Canada Awards Program funded by GAC
  • Had funding from GAC
  • Took part in the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
  • Took part in the Canada-China Scholars Exchanges Program
  • Took part in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
  • Completed the majority of a study program by distance learning (online courses, e-learning or correspondence)
  • Already had a post-graduation work permit following any other program of study.

Special cases

If you are in any of these groups, you may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit:

Accelerated programs

If you were enrolled in a study program that is normally eight months long but you finished in six months, you may be eligible.

Transfers between schools

If you transferred between designated learning institutions (DLIs), the combined length of your studies must have been at least eight months to be eligible.

Transferring from a school that is not a DLI to one that is: if you started studying at a school that wasn’t designated, and transferred and completed your program at a DLI, only the time studying at the DLI will be counted.

Studying part-time during the final academic session

If you meet all the requirements, but during your last academic session you studied part-time, you are still eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit

Universities in Ontario

Brock University
University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT)
Windsor University
Lakehead University
Laurentian University

Universities in Saskatchewan

University of Regina *
University of Saskatchewan **
** Bachelor’s programs only
* Bachelor’s  and undergraduate’s programs only
** Bachelor’s programs only

Universities in British Columbia

Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)
Thompson River University (TRU)
Capilano University
University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)