Basic information about Hungary
- Official name: Hungary
- Area: 93 022 km2
- Population: 9 797 561 (2017)
- Neighbouring countries: Austria, Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia
- Official language: Hungarian
- State form: Republic
- Capital and largest city: Budapest (population: 1 729 040)
- Other large cities: Debrecen, Szeged, Miskolc, Pécs, Győr
- Currency: Forint (HUF)
- Time zone: CET (GMT +1)
- Major rivers: River Danube (417 km), River Tisza (597 km)
- Largest lakes: Lake Balaton, Lake Velence
- The highest point above sea level: Kékes (1014 m) in the Mátra Hills
- Hungary is a member of OECD, NATO, EU and the Schengen Convention.
Administratively, Hungary is divided into 19 counties with the capital city of Budapest being independent of any county government.
Hungary is among the top tourist destinations in Europe with the capital Budapest regarded as one of the most beautiful cities worldwide. Despite its relatively small size, the country is home to numerous World Heritage Sites, UNESCO Biosphere Reserves, the second largest thermal lake in the world (Lake Hévíz), the largest lake in Central Europe (Lake Balaton), and the largest natural grassland in Europe (Hortobágy).
The official language of the country is Hungarian, which forms part of the Finno-Ugric language family. Hungarians call their language magyar. Although Hungary is located in Central Europe, Hungarian is not related to any of the languages that surround the country. Hungarian is spoken by 10 million people in Hungary, and cca. by 4-5 million more people outside of the country. There are also sizeable populations of Hungarian speakers in Romania, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Serbia, Ukraine, Israel, the U.S., and Australia. Smaller pockets of Hungarian speakers also live in Canada, Croatia, Slovenia and Austria.
Your costs of living calculator
Prices are shown in USD (US Dollar). You can change it to:
|Category and amount||Budapest||Debrecen||Győr||Miskolc||Pécs||Szeged|
|DormitoryAsk your future university for more details.||$129||$74||$74||$136||$110||$92|
|Private flatIncluding utilities.||$458||$328||$380||$250||$260||$279|
|Shared flatIncluding utilities.||$204||$148||$171||$115||$130||$127|
|Recreation Please provide the monthly occasions of the different kinds of recreation.|
|Movie, theater, concert||$9||$7||$7||$7||$7||$7|
|Transportation You can choose more options.|
|Cycling It’s free! 🙂|
|Public bike-sharing system Only available in Budapest. 8000 HUF/semester.||$5|
|Urban public transport Monthly pass with Hungarian student ID||$13||$13||$8||$14||$12||$15|
|Total costs of living
Accommodation You can choose only one option. Averages for private and shared flats are based on the calculations of www.otthonterkep.hu.
We officially represent the following institutes in Hungary!
- University of Debrecen
- Website: https://edu.unideb.hu/
- Budapest Metropolitan University (BMU)
- Website: https://www.metubudapest.hu/
- Wekerle Business School
- Website: https://wbsc-h.eu/
In order to apply for a selected study programe you should contact us for the timely admissions in Universities/colleges generally require 4-8 weeks to process your application and to prepare your visa application form.
Remember that some universities have additional admission requirements. It is necessary to contact your selected university before submitting your application.
The general admission requirements for Polish language students are:
• Proof that you are in good health.
• A valid passport.
The general admission requirements of the Bachelor’s Degree Programmes are:
• IELTS 6.0 for Bachelors admission & 6.5 for Masters admission.
• Secondary School Certificate, bachelors transcripts, degrees.
• Curriculum Vitae.
• A valid certificate of no impediment to take up studies – valid for at least 3 months.
• A valid passport.
• Admission fee payment receipt.
• 4 passport-size photographs.